BAUDELAIRE IN A BOX
Jamie B. Wolcott / Curtis Eller's American Circus / New Town Drunks
Theater Oobleck's "Baudelaire in a Box" is a serialized recasting of 19th century French poet Charles Baudelaire’s "Les Fleurs du mal" that revives the ancient art of cantastoria* for a new century.
This articulation of "Baudelaire in a Box" is a collaboration between three unique and mercurial North Carolinian artists.
Herein we find four poems from Baudelaire's haunting classic translated into English and set to original music by North Carolinian musical eccentrics, Curtis Eller's American Circus and New Town Drunks. These musicalizations were performed live as part of Baudelaire in a Box, Episode 4: Bad Luck.
These songs of anguish are brought to life by Jamie B. Wolcott's original, clockwork constructions. Each hand-made, screen-printed volvelle* or "spinny" illuminates the grim imagery described in the music. Turn the wheel and watch as horrors beset the heart of this poor tormented soul.
Please visit the following websites for more work from these artists.
- Theater Oobleck: baudelaireinabox.wordpress.com
- Jamie B. Wolcott: www.jamiebwolcott.com
- Curtis Eller's American Circus: www.curtiseller.com
- New Town Drunks: www.newtowndrunks.com
* Cantastoria - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantastoria
* Volvelle - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvelle